Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Simple, Yet Hearty

The lastuple days I've been in one of those moods where I have wanted hearty food that is fairly simple to make. Last night I had to be at the theater so I fixed up a toasted cheese sandwhich (on a nice whole grain bread) and made a homemade vegetable soup out of the selection of vegetables from leftover, frozen, and fresh vegetables, mushrooms and rice that I had around. I thickened it a little with a seasoned flour I keep around and spiced it up. It made an easy take-along in a plastic-lidded container to the theater.

For lunch I sauteed up some onion and spinach with peirogies I had in the freezer. Dinner was a simple parmesan pasta with some spinach and mushrooms thrown in, served along salad with homemade croutons and some garlic bread.


"Drinking without being thirsty and making love at any time, Madame, are the only things that distinguish us from other animals." ~Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais, The Marriage of Figaro, 1784, translated

No comments: