Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Live, let live, and be grateful always... Veggie Style

A lot of times vegetarians get a bad reputation for being pushy, demanding, militant, and extremists. I am a firm believer in not doing these things. I live my life the way I want to be treated by others... simply I am who I am. I want to be treated respectfully for my lifestyle and I try to treat others the same way. I know it's not always easy, especially when you are surrounded by meat-eaters nearly everyday and in many cases live with them. As many know, I am the lone vegetarian in my family, and over the years this has ofen caused tension and conflict. My brothers are still extremely bothered by it and often use names like "vege-terrorist." I really try not to turn around the attacks when meat is pushed in my face or when the comments sometimes come in wave after relentless wave.

I've done the research, I have the information at my fingertips, and I am willing discuss my diet and lifestyle in a respectful manner with those who are truly interested and curious. I see no point in attempting to push my ideals onto others and instead try to live more by example. We've all heard the line about attracting more flies with honey, than vinegar... well, it is more along those lines. No one wants to be lectured at or attacked, not me and not anyone I know. Over the past few years I have been approached to speak to my college biology class as well as interested friends and family, mostly as result of my not aggressive tactics. My cookbooks are usually free range for those interested that are close to me and I have to three-ring binders that are packed full of information, history, facts, quotes, and any other vegetarian bits that I have come across along the years. They have been a great resource for me and for those are are genuinly interested.

There is one thing I have found to be one off the greatest aspects of importance to living this life the right way is to be grateful to those who actually try to be respectful of this life. This means making an effort to thank those who take the extra steps to make it easier whether it was cooks at camp who made me something seperate (even if it meant heating up an veggie burger two), my caterer for the rehearsal dinner who made me a special fruit plate, or a family member or friend who remembered me (like Grandma who make snack plates for the wedding party the mornign of the wedding or the green beans that do not include bacon).

We vegetarians and vegans are not freaks of nature, but we will be treated likes ones more often if act like ones. There is nothing good to come of trying to life a peaceful diet while going out and attacking those who do not agree. Live, let live, and be grateful to those who try to undestand that which may still seem very foreign to them.


The woods were made for the hunters of dreams,
The brooks for the fishers of song;
To the hunters who hunt for the gunless game
The streams and the woods belong.
~Sam Walter Foss

No comments: