Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It's been kind of nice having a freezer and pantry full of home preserved goodies. I made a big pan of black beans and rice today, using a jar of black beans my aunt canned for me and corn my mom and brother froze this summer. I usually use tomato sauce or a bit of tomato paste for a tomato base, but instead took a can of diced tomatoes and ran them through the belnder for a bit. It was just long enough break down the peices more, but to leave some pieces through it. Topped with a sprinkling of shredded cheese and sliced black olives, served along side a handful of tortilla chips it was a very nice lunch. In honor of celebrating my family's canning and freezing, I even thought about pulling out a bag of frozen raspberries and using them to make some raspberry pina coladas later. (Yum yum!)



There is already a plan set for next year's canning as far as what we need to make more of. For instance, this year two batches of homemade salsa were made, and the plan is to at least double that for next year.


"It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb becuase it is dumb to his dull perceptions." - Mark Twain

No comments: