Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Freezer Stock - The Soup Tour Continues: Broccoli Cheese and a "Sink" Soup

So the Stock The Freezer - Soup Tour 2011 continues as I made a homemade broccoli cheese soup tonight for dinner (very yum!) with a recipe I improvised along the way. (I looked through a few different recipes before hand, got an idea for how other make it, contemplated what I liked about some of those recipes and what I had one hand, then experimented in my own.) The extra was bagged, labeled, and put in the freezer. The second of tonight, "Sink" soup, is simmering on the stove as I type... a vegetable soup that I derived the name from the idea of "every but the kitchen sink." (I haven't come up with a better name yet.) I keep a tub in the freezer where I collect bits of leftover or last bits of stuff to use up such as rice, vegetables, veggie broth, mushrooms, beans, or vegetarian gravy. These can be roasted, sauteed, steamed, or raw. When the container (and in this case a small freezer bag) are full I cook them down into a lovely soup, that has the house smelling quite nice right now. It's a great way to use up leftovers and have a wonderful soup full of texture, tastes, and overall yumminess. I love having soups, stews, and chowders in the freezer in individual servings. Convenient and I know what went into them.

And for you viewing pleasure and to go with ongoing theme (I keep finding these gems that just are begging to be shared) I found a Classic Sesame Street - Captain Vegetable. Enjoy!

No comments: