Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Chili for Now and Later

As with my typical view about being a vegetarian and eating a diet without flesh does not mean going without. I made a nice pot of chili for dinner (and froze the rest). Sometimes there is just nothing better than a spicy, steamy bowl of chili served over plain cooked pasta (especially like rotini, although any noodle will do inlcuding spagetti).




I sauteed some chopped onion and a clove of garlic in oil and water until everything was translucent and lovely. I added it to a pot with chili beans, kidney beans, and black beans. Then added tomato juice as needed with the chili spicespepper flakes, and hot sauce. Sometimes, I add tomato soup straight out of the can to work as a little bit of thickening, but not necessary. Pretty much whatever looks good to put in it. (I love adding the black beans with the other to add another level.) I let it cook through, then boiled some pasta noodles and drained. So yummy. When everything was ready I made a nice pile of pasta on the bottom of my bowl, sprinkled it with hot sauce and shredded cheese (without the cheese it is meat and dairy free), then toopped with a heaping portion of chili and a sprinkles of cheese. Fabulous and delicious.





Chili night has always been a fairly big night in my house. The table included not only a big pot of chili, but pleanty of fixings; cooked pasta noodles, corn chips, cheese, shreddded lettuce, salsa, hot sauce, hot pepper flakes, chili spices, sugar (my mom and brother prefer to sweeten it a bit), and whatever else looks like an apealing addition. Everyone has their own way and own preferences right down to how spicy it should be and what it chould be served over. I started adding black beans to mine and increasng the overall amount of beans in it (as well as the diced onion) to adapt to no longer including hamburger. I still make a decent amount and then freeze the extras for another day. (I do this alot with things instead of making single sized portions.) It's nice to have on hand when I don't feel like cooking.


As said by Marty Feldman: "I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

No comments: