Sunday, January 13, 2008

Homestyle Vegetarian Breakfast at Home

Sometime it happens that you've been out late with friends and want the smothered type breakfast type foods that you remembered from your meat eating days. It is possible without giving up your veg-friendly ways. I don't to miss those late night, early morning trips to an all night truck stop or other all-night food stop it's way to make yourself at home (plus you get to know excatly what goes into it and exactly what you want). I've been doing it for years, whether after a long night out or just a late night meal at home. My one brother doesn't eat sausage and it became an occasional late night tradition when we were both scavaging the hosue pondering something homie to bite into... without sausage.

White gravy smothers yumminess. For potaotes I use whatever is on hand... hash browns, fried potatoes (either from fresh potaoes, canned or frozen), french fries, tater tots, or whatever you have on hand prepared in skillet, oven, or in a fryer. Start with with two tablespoons of a seasoned flour (I prefer to use a brand called Kentucky Kernel Flour, we almost always have it one hand and use it for coatings and even to base the base for homemade macaroini and cheese as opposed to plain flour). I add a bit of extra seasoning with pepper, a dash of seasoning salt, some parsley, touch of garlic powder, and touch of onion pepper. (Remember, it is all to personal taste.) I melt two tablespoons butter and wisk in the seasoned flour until you've have created a nice base. Add 1 cup of water and whisk until well blended. Season as needed. Let simmer until comes to desired thickness. Cover biscuits or toast and prefered potato food (french fries or hash browns or whatever else) with the gravy. You can serve with a vegetarian sausage like crumble or sausage like patties or links (there are tons of brands out there) and sprinkle with cheese or onion or whatever else you like. It can be served along side eggs (I'm not really an egg fan so I don't, but sometimes my brother does). As with most things you don't have to give up those homestyle meals just because you have give up meat. Yum Yum. (Honestly this is what I fixed about 6:30a when I got home after being out with friends.)

In the Words of Albert Schweitzer: "Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight."

No comments: