Sunday, January 6, 2008

I love Gardenburger

We are trying, as a family, to eat together at the table, all at the same time. This is, of course, easier said than done. I'm finding ways to eat pretty much the same things with the exception of meat. Tonight was cheesey julienne potatoes, peas, fried apples (with a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon), rolls, and a Gardenburger BBQ riblet. So full afterwards (yummy!). I was thinking about some baking, but maybe tomorrow.

I was out putting down fresh straw for our pet goats earlier. It is so hard for me to imagine that there are some people that would think about killing these sweet, usually gentle creatures and worse easting them. (We have three fixed males and one female... she is most absolutely the queen of the barn and makes sure the larger animals know this.) The longer I have been a vegetarian the stranger meat eating seems to me and the more horrific is seems that people would kill for the purpose of their tastebuds. Perhaps that sounds just a tad bit dramatic, but sometimes I look back towards the diet I was thought was normal with an uncomfortable shiver. This is the life that I have chosen, but also the life that seemed to choose me. How could I ever go back to that way of eating? I couldn't. My spirit is lighter because of it and my body is my own.

From Samuel Butler, 'Note-Books,' 1912; "Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them."

No comments: