Sunday, November 11, 2007

An introduction of sorts

Welcome to my vegetarian world. Think of this almost as a mission statement of types. There are a lot of blogs and bloggers on the web. It’s a huge world out there with all sorts of different interests, purposes, and ideals. Vegetarianism is growing, but sometimes it still feels like a rather lonely world. I believe that living a life without meat should be a celebration and not some thinking of restrictions and explainations. This is my life… and one of the best ways I can think of celebrating it is to share.
Five years ago I found myself at the threshold of vegetarianism. At first the idea seemed a bit scary; I am after all from a long line of Ohio hunters and farmers. Life here often seems centered around football games, deer season, and shared meals for holidays, picnics, or just because. Thanksgiving is a marked a huge turkey and sighting guns in and the prep for deer season. Christmas Day is marked with steak and shrimp. Burgers, hotdogs, and chicken BBQ seem the obvious choice in summer-fare. Then at nineteen, I got sick. What I ate often caused pain, but the pain came from not eating as well. I tried the route the doctors laid before me, but was unsettled with the idea of spending a life on medication. I tried herbs and initial diet changes, but I often felt as though I had hit the glass ceiling. I could see where I wanted to go, I could almost touch, but somehow it stayed out of reach. I wanted to be better and I wanted my life back. I had researched from the beginning, constantly reading and talking to others. It kept coming up… vegetarian. At first it seemed extreme and far-fetched. While, I myself had never hunted, I had to taught to handle one at a young age and it was somewhat expected that one day I would join my cousins, uncles, brothers, Grandpa, and Father in the woods one day. Hunting and farming was a tradition after all. We had been brought up with a respect for the animals whose lives were taken whether from a farm, water, or woods. Nothing was taken that was not going to be used. Game was often shared with family or friends who either did not hunt or did not get anything. It was all I had ever known. But I wasn’t getting any better. And I had to try something. So I made the original goal of one month. Thirty days to let my body adjust (think detox almost) and see if it made any real difference. I woke up one morning and knew that was the day. Without looking back I armed myself with determination and willpower that would get me through the first days. I had figured after the thirty days I would then decide if it would make any different and if it was something I would stick to. By the end of two weeks I knew there was no going back. Five years later, here I am. I got my health back without drugs and potentially dangerous side-effects and I have lasted far longer than most predictions.
For me, I don’t think much about the things I gave up. I may have gave up the sense of my family’s normalcy, but I also gave up the pain. I also gained a sense of awareness about what I put into my body and about the world as a whole. Slowly my family as adapted to the reality that vegetarianism for me is not merely a phase that I will “grow out of.” They accept the veg-friendly food at picnics, cook outs, and even Holiday dinner tables. Most of them have stopped picking about when I will just “go back to normal” and eat meat. The adjustment from omnivore to vegetarian has not be nearly as difficult for me as it has been on various members of my family. Sometimes, I still feel as though it would have been a easier if it had been a road I had not taken alone, but I am almost everyday glad that it is a road I have taken.

No comments: