Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Vegetarian Thanksgiving, Just Like Everyone Else’s…. Well Almost



It’s Thanksgiving Day. A day of food, family, football games, parades, and leftovers. I got most of my food done last night (mushroom dressing [recipe below] and ranch cheese balls). The chopping, the sautéing, the mixing were all done then this morning and I did not have to get out of bed as early. (Yay for sleeping in… at least a little bit.) Then today I just had to bake the stuffing with everything else that was in the oven and make the mushroom/onion gravy once we got to the firehouse kitchen where this year’s family Thanksgiving meal was. I would much rather get things done ahead and stick in the refrigerator the night before.

Thanksgiving in my family, like pretty much everything else, is a noisy, active, busy day. We always have lots of food, lots, of people, and lots of leftovers to take home. You’re probably wondering about the whole vegetarian feasting with a meat eating family thing. First off, even with extended family present I am the only vegetarian. Most people don’t say anything anymore because it just is the way it is and the way it has been for a while. (For many of the in-laws the only way they remember it.) Second, I never go hungry and have just as much opportunity to fill my plate and overeat with the rest of them. While they feasted on their meat dishes and more traditional stuffing (as well as their traditional oyster dressing), I stuffed myself with mushroom dressing and homemade mashed potatoes smothered in mushroom gravy. The cupboard were full of different kinds of dressings, vegetables like homegrown corn (we get it in the summer then freeze it our self) and green beans, salad, rolls, a few casseroles (some I eat, others I avoid), relish trays of cheese and pickles, and lots of dessert choices from pies and cakes to puddings and bars. (I come from a family with sweet teeth, although somehow I am not one of them.) We ate, took the time to catch up with each other, chased the overwhelming number of small children that were running around, played games, and everyone took home leftovers.
Only two people even made any reference to the whole vegetarian thing. The first was my cousin’s fiancé when I asked her if she out bacon in her green beans (it ended up being a small piece of mushroom) and the second my jerky cousin-in-law that causes trouble pretty much where-ever he can. He kept trying to get his very young son to say things like “carnivore,” “I eat meat,” and “vegan” like it was an insult whenever I was around him (I do not take vegan as an insult, but I have given up correcting him that actually am not vegan). His young son never cooperated, he was too busy playing with his tractor, trying to get my glasses, and leading me back and forth to the kitchen just to look around. Somehow he thinks constantly making vegetarian attacks is funny, but I gave up responding to them a long time ago. He’s the one that sounds like a jerk, not me. I am content with my life choice and in the end that is all that matters.
Overall it was a good day. I had cousins there from out of town and out of state and there was not major drama. No one argued or fought and everyone had plenty to eat (and maybe a little more than plenty for some). My mom filled and took Thanksgiving plates to a few of her shut in clients with no or limited family. It was pretty much a typical holiday like the one many shared by many vegetarians and non-vegetarians across the country. Hope everyone had a wonderful one full of laughter, love, and joy.

My Fabulous Mushroom Dressing
One bag breadcrumbs (14-16oz bag approx or other preferred)
About one onion cut (and put through food chopper)
About 4 stalks of celery (chopped than put through chopper)
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
Package of mushrooms (I put most of them through chopper, then thinly slice rest)
Oil (to sauté vegetables… I also use a little water to sauté with to help cut amount oil used)
½ c. butter, margarine, or soy butter substitute
2 green onions chopped
2-3 c preferred liquid (I use a vegetable broth or you could use any combo water, broth, etc)
Sautee all vegetables except green onions. Mix bread crumbs, all vegetables (sautéed and not) in large bowl. Add warm liquid and melted butter or margarine. Mix well incorporating all the ingredients well). I took a masher with a wide bottom and mashed and mixed a little at the end. Put in baking dish. Bake at 350 until done.
In the words of James Cromwell: "We don't need to eat anyone who would run, swim, or fly away if he could."
From Mike Connolly: "Coexistence... what the farmer does with the turkey - until Thanksgiving."

No comments: