Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Love in Non-Vegetarian World

I didn’t really get the inspiration to actually cook today. (Leftovers and frozen pizza.) I was in writing mode and stuff in the creative mode working hard on a manuscript. I’ve been contemplating a few things regarding being single and vegetarian in a non-vegetarian world. I haven’t really met anyone to even think about serious, however the idea does bring up some thoughts regarding this lifestyle that I have chosen and in many ways has chosen me. I’ve had the discussion multiple times with my family where they have asked things about potential children I might one day have. I plan on raising any children I may one day have vegetarian and I have never hidden that fact, but I also don’t want to discriminate against a potential love of my life just because they eat meat. Let’s be honest if I only dated vegetarians I would lead a very lonely life. How does love and relationships factor into finding common ground? I know in my heart and spirit that living without consuming flesh is the best way for me and for a lot of people, but not everyone believes that way. I know so few vegetarians and vegans around me it makes me wonder how others deal with things like dating, love, relationships, and meat.


In the Words of Robert Louis Stevenson: "Nothing more strongly arouses our disgust than cannibalism, yet we make the same impression on Buddhists and vegetarians, for we feed on babies, though not our own."

No comments: