Monday, December 3, 2007

Recipe Evolution

I was standing at the stove having just mixed previously frozen spinach into my pan when I got to thinking about the dishes I often prepare. My mom loves my tortellini with the basil mushroom sauce (I use olive oil sometimes mixed with butter to create the base). It’s a nice change from the usual heavy tomato or cream sauces that often adorn pasta. I usually lightly sauté mushrooms and garlic with a touch of oil and water and basil to brighten everything. (It is very common for me to use partial water to sauté to help cut down the fats and oils.) The recipe has seemed to evolve again and constant slight alterations depending on whatever I have on hand. I often keep a bag of frozen spinach on hand and use what I need. As the garlic and red onion slivers sautéed in the oil mix on the stove I warmed about 2 Tbs. of frozen spinach (for one serving) in the microwave about a minute with a touch of water. I then added mushrooms to skillet and chopped the spinach into smaller pieces before also adding it with a pinch each of basil and parsley. As the mixture warmed through I add a spoonful of diced sun dried tomatoes that I had in the refrigerator. The cooked tortellini was added straight to the skillet mixing all the flavors and letting the little pieces of spinach and herb make their way into the crevices. I served it in a nice bowl with a sprinkle of shaved parmesan and welcome to food love. Clearly this was a step up from frozen pizza and other similar foods of last week.

It is clearly no surprise to anyone that I love to eat as well as cook. I have no intention to go without great taste or foods that comfort body and soul as well as nourish. I love experimenting with new flavors and mixing old favorites into something new. I love trying new things and may even be up soon for trying tofu that hasn’t been pre-marinated. (Once upon a time all tofu was very foreign and very scary to a girl raised in Ohio farm country on meat and potatoes.) Hope ya’all have found those ‘food love’ moments that just make you smile.

In the Words of Leo Tolstoy: '"Thou shalt not kill" does not apply to murder of one's own kind only, but to all living beings; and this Commandment was inscribed in the human breast long before it was proclaimed from Sinai.'

No comments: